Come Share Our Vision
That Council Bluffs is a dynamic healthy community where families and businesses choose to live, work and play.
The 712 Initiative is aimed at improving the economic vitality in redevelopment areas through investments in built environment, activating public spaces and delivering programs that increase social engagement and healthy lifestyles. As a Council Bluffs’ community development and place-making agent, The 712 Initiative focuses on the community’s existing assets by amplifying the built environment and addressing distressed properties in order to stimulate the local economy all while providing community activities, and wellness in the key districts we develop in.
The 712 Initiative will enhance the quality of life for both current and future residents by prioritizing efforts to achieve the following goals:
Increase the variety of quality housing and commercial stock in Council Bluffs
- Ensure there is a consistent amount of projects in the redevelopment pipeline.
- Increase the number of housing units in Council Bluffs central core and west end, low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.
- Increase the tax base in Council Bluffs.
- Assist in the attraction of new property investment in the community
- Promote and market potential redevelopment projects
Attraction of new professionals and residents in the community
- Increase homeownership in Council Bluffs.
- Increase the number of people living downtown and in the west end.
- Beautify and stabilize Council Bluffs’ neighborhoods in the Downtown District.
Increase social connectedness and encourage active lifestyles of residents in Council Bluffs
- Organize and promote community public space programming and events
- Activation of Public Spaces through the implementation of smaller but impactful place making strategies (including but not limited to: art, parklets, bike racks, community gardens)
Increase and create sustainable civic engagement
- Engage the public and neighborhood associations in technical support and volunteerism through redevelopment and neighborhood projects
Increase partnerships with the public and private sector while lessening the burdens of government
- Secure sponsorship, fee income and donations for programs and organizational support
- Attract private and public funders and foundations to programs and organizational support
- Leverage local, state and federal dollars to programs, operations and the Council Bluffs community