We’re looking for someone to join our team and oversee our Housing Revitalization Program. Help us increase the variety of quality housing in Council Bluffs as our Construction Project Manager.
Experience dealing with contractors?
Enthusiasm for housing renovations?
Passionate about the work our organization is doing?
See details below for the job and how to apply.
The primary purpose of the Construction Project Manager (CPM) is to ensure 712 and Habitat for Humanity Council Bluffs construction projects are completed on-time and within budgetary constraints. The position will be expected to oversee no less than five 712 single family dwelling renovations or builds (emphasis on renovations) along with two Habitat for Humanity Council Bluffs new construction builds for a total of no less than seven builds in a calendar year with expectation to get to 10 builds annually. This position is responsible for prebuild coordination, supply chain management, bid/billing management, post-build inspections and general oversight of multiple projects from start to finish.
Construction Planning and Support
- Provides outreach and acts as point of contact for neighbors affected by any future areas of new construction, demolition projects or rehab commitments by acting as point of contact. communicating timeline, impact and issues/concerns that may affect neighbors – utilizing BuilderTrend to document efforts
- Coordinates construction activities and subcontractors from pre-build work through house completion;
- Engages in timely communication with 712 CEO, Habitat for Humanity CB CEO, and Director of Redevelopment as appropriate;
- Reviews plans and sites to identify opportunities for value engineering;
- Secures building permits for all 712 & Habitat CB projects;
- Communicates with City of Council Bluffs departments and all local utilities (MEC, Black Hills Energy, CB Waterworks etc.) to ensure all pre-build applications are filed, processed, and ready for rehab build schedule;
- Orders and coordinates material delivery to ensure staff and volunteer time is effectively utilized and project stays on schedule;
- Assists in monitoring subcontractor performance, maintaining records of subcontractor inspections;
- Arranges for Building and Energy Star inspections and coordinates correction of red-tagged items for re-inspection as needed;
Bids and Cost Control
- Provides accurate and timely estimates to support negotiations with suppliers, subcontractors, and donors regarding quality, price, and schedule in collaboration with 712 Neighborhood Coordinator/Superintendent
- Procures competitive bids from subcontractors including negotiating contracts with architects, vendors and subcontractors;
- Ensures subcontractors execute contracts (including safety compliance) and lien waivers for 712 & Habitat projects as appropriate via software such as Builder Trend;
- Monitors expenditure on each house to identify areas of cost overruns and to ensure each house remains on budget;
- Coordinates returns and proper credit of unused material;
- Monitors product quality for all projects.
Building Standards and Plans
- Works with Modern Hive Interior Design on property layout and finishes
- Lead on purchasing new home plans for infill lots & work with realtor partners & engaging the public on preferred design
- Purchase and oversee project management software
- Assists with shipping/receiving of material goods
The Construction Project Manager will be expected to report to The 712 Initiative and Habitat for Humanity as well on occasion create necessary status updates to funders.
No supervisory responsibilities. However, will work directly with 712 Neighborhood Coordinator as needed for internal misc. project jobs and volunteer teams.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in construction related field, such as Building Science, Construction Management or Civil Engineering;
- The (CPM) must have an understanding of the construction business and the ability to meet or exceed deadlines in a fast-paced environment. CPM must also have the capacity to collaborate with various internal and external parties in construction planning, scheduling, and management of new and rehab residential builds for the affiliate. Preferred 2-year’s experience in residential construction field work
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to handle frequent changes with professionalism and communication;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated computer literacy with MS Office, project scheduling (Builder Trend experience, AutoCAD/Revit or other construction related software, preferred);
- Working knowledge OSHA standards and requirements;
- Goal-oriented, success driven, self-motivate, out-going professional.
- And most importantly, enthusiasm for our mission; team-oriented with a focus on customer service delivery.
Strive to increase quality single family dwelling design at an affordable price. Represent The 712 Initiative, Habitat for Humanity Council Bluffs and the City of Council Bluffs in an ethical manner. Preferred candidate is a resident of Council Bluffs shortly after hire, but exceptions will be made based on an individual’s circumstance.
Salary range: $65,000-$70,000 with benefits including 401k based on individual’s qualifications.
Will consider applicants with general skill set and exposure to qualifications desired. Please include a narrative with relevant experience and/or exposure to this type of work in cover letter.
The position will remain open until filled.
The 712 Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.
Forward cover letter, resume, transcripts, references and a salary history electronically to:
Sheryl Garst, CEO
The 712 Initiative
1228 S. Main Street
Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503